Saturday, November 13, 2010

USCCB "election"

In response to Carol's request at The Tenth Crusade, I sent a letter to the Bishop of my Diocese in regard to Bishop Kicanas.  I thought in the interest of true Catholics everywhere, I would post that letter.
Comments would be appreciated since it seems Carol is taking some heat for her efforts.  I'm too old to let that crap bother me.  We only learned it one way...Always advance, even if it's only one foot at a time.

__________________________________________________

I would respectfully like to bring to the attention of Bishop Hubbard, the upcoming election for the US Bishops.  Due to the fact that the front runner for the position of leadership is the current vice president, Tucson Bishop Gerald Kicanas, and he has been associated with the sex-abuse scandal while he was rector of Chicago’s Mundelein Seminary.  He was aware of the sexual misconduct of Father Daniel McCormack but chose to ordain him anyway.  Asked about it, Bishop Kicanas essentially said that he would do it again.  Here is the quote:

“It would have been grossly unfair not to have ordained him,” Bishop Kicanas said shortly after being elected as vice president of the USCCB, in a quote that appears in the deposition of Cardinal Francis George. “There was a sense that his activity was part of the developmental process and that he had learned from the experience,” continued Bishop Kicanas. “I was more concerned about his drinking. We sent him to counseling for that.”

Basically what I am asking is that you NOT consider him for the post of president of the USCCB.  I really don't think you want the problems or scandal that would bring.  The "Catholic Observer" sums it up this way:

“…his election would erode all credibility of the whole USCCB. The PR disaster that would follow would be stunning for the damage it would do. It’s all the USCCB would get done for the foreseeable future… constantly let a story that got ahead of them beat them down.”

I pray that you will talk to other Bishops and choose another of your group to lead.
I bring this to your attention Bishop Hubbard because of your hard line with the sex abuse scandal of Fr. Sam Rodino.  God Bless you in this endeavor and I will be praying for you.

Jesus is Lord!
Tim
 
The USCCB could become totally irrelevant if they decide to make this guy their President.  They might as well have Obama sitting there.
Jesus Is Lord!
Tim

2 comments:

  1. Tim, Do you know this man? I've known him pretty well for 9 years. I've been a priest for 40 years, 30 of the them as a Navy chaplain. He is one of the hardest working, most dedicated bishop I've known. I rank him up there with John O'Connor although they have very diferent approaches. I believe he is being slandered by all this repetitions of the NPR radio guy's reporting of his comments. I really wish all these very "catholic" folks would study and meditate more on the 8th commandment. GBY. Fr. John Friel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John,
    It seems that his own words aren't enough to convince you of his position. The fact that you claim to know him for 9 years should be some kind of indication that even as he was installed as vice-president of the USCCB, he admitted he would do it again. I think his admission that this priest with 23 counts of abuse to his record would be enough to disqualify him from the post of President of the USCCB. Obviously you don't think so. It's not slander when it's true. Pedophilia is a sin. An Enabler of a Pedophile shares in that sin just as an enabler of Abortion shares in that sin, or don't you believe Abortion is a sin? Obviously you don't think Bishop Kicanas was wrong in ordaining the Pedophile, so I can ask whether you feel Abortion is wrong. I would consider your answer very carefully.

    ReplyDelete